Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Brief Interlude Deficient of Attention

Since I started writing again, I'm trying not to do too many miscellaneous posts that amount to nothing more than "Hey! Look at this cool stuff I saw online!".

But, well, look at this cool stuff I saw online:


MUTO a wall-painted animation by BLU from blu on Vimeo.

I could watch this all day. I want it to just keep going and getting bigger. It's really mesmerizing, and it has these moments that border on revelatory, you know? You feel like something significant is about to be communicated, almost, if you could just understand.

And, in a complete shift of gears, I moved a large entertainment center shelf in my apartment because I wanted more wall space to hang pictures on, but now the TV and audio equipment is just stacked in an unattractive pile on the floor. I've been wanting to do something artful with it, that won't block out the regained wall space.

I remember an old friend from college who was taking an architecture course, and was given an assignment to use a piece of cardboard to build a structure that could support his own weight for something like 30 seconds. Apparently, many people's more elaborate attempts collapsed under them before the clock ran out, but what my friend did was just cut the board in half, put half slits in the middle of each piece and slide them together as an X. This supported his weight for over the given time.

A few years later, for another friend I spent several weeks building weird costumes out of cardboard, duct-tape, crepe-paper and Elmer's glue, and then painting them. The end result was pretty cool.

Which is all a long winded way to say I've been thinking about making something out of cardboard and some combination of interesting finishing process to sit the electronics on top of. Cardboard is surprisingly sturdy if constructed intelligently, and can be made to look surprisingly good with some creativity.

Case in point, I came across this stuff today:

cartonnistes diy cardboard furniture


How to design your own cardboard furniture

Let's see if I can muster up the energy.

Maybe if I start taking anti-narcoleptic drugs. (That's not a drug ad, it's a link to an interesting blog post by someone who decided to experiment with taking a prescription anti-narcoleptic to enhance his mental acuity. It makes a rather persuasive case in favor... interesting read.)

1 comment:

Trishkafibble said...

Wow, I think you've overloaded my brain, Bill!

The animation is absolutely fascinating, what a phenomenal concept. Very well executed, too, though I'm not entirely a fan of the, er...more visceral?...type of surrealism. Still, very, very cool, and often delightfully surprising! Thanks for hosting it.

The cardboard furniture is just fabulous--some of the designs featured on those pages are just stunning! I bet once you got the hang of it, construction would be a lot of fun, too. Keep us posted if you do try your hand at it. Hmm...I wonder how kid-proof the final product is? We're always accumulating excess cardboard around here....

Now, that last item has me pondering. I'd love to see what the effect of a drug like that would be on someone with ADD? Some days it's just so frustrating to live with...but I'm a total wimp about such things. I haven't even tried Huperzine or a similar "herbal" product, 'cause who knows if they're safe? I do hope TPTB are studying this drug. (I'd love to use its name, but I can't remember it. Sigh.) Apart from the personal angle, though, the blogger did seem to present a very balanced viewpoint, though completely anecdotal. Fascinating!